liquid soap making
Liquid soap making is becoming increasingly popular and the possibilities are endless.
Potassium hydroxide (type of lye) is added to fats, oils and butters will produce soap in liquid form other
ingredients will add to the benefits. The soap mixture will need to be heated.
Gather your soap making supplies and
What you will need
whisks or wooden spoons
safe container with spout
enamel or stainless steel saucepan
pot to make like a double-boiler(or pot large enough for your saucepan to
liquid soap making instructions
It is best to have all you soap making equipment and ingredients ready.
Your workspace should be covered.
Mold(s) are prepared and set out.
Print out a copy of the your recipe for a quick reference.
Remember you need to wear a pair of goggles and gloves when you handle lye. NEVER pour water into lye – ALWAYS pour lye into water.
These are meant as general directions, please refer to recipe for specific instructiions.
- Measure and set aside your essential oils or fragrances and any additives you will be adding to your homeade lye soap recipe.
- Place your potassium hydroxide flakes – water solution in a roasting pan of in the sink. This way if it bubbles over (how I am happy that I actually listened to this safety tip)
- Dissolve the potassium hydroxide (lye) by pouring the potassium hydroxide(lye) into distilled water LYE INTO WATER. Make sure that you do this in a well ventilated room or even outside. Take your time to make sure that it is completely dissolved.
- Weigh out your oils and butters using a digital kitchen scale.
- Place all of your oils and butter in saucepan and heat them on low-medium heat.
- Turn down the heat to low
once the fats are melted.
- Add the potassium solution
when it is about 140 F to melted oils which are still being heated.
- Use a stick hand blender to
mix the soap solution. You should be still wearing your goggles and
gloves. Be careful not to splash.
Continue to mix until you’re the mixture reaches a very heavy trace it really
looks thick like pudding. This might take up to 30 minutes.
- Cook the soap mixture on
the double-boiler for about 3 hours. Stir every 30 minutes.
- Test for clouding or your
recipe may suggest that you cover your solution.
- Dilute the soap paste with
- Add neutralizers, dyes and
- Pour into bottles and allow
to settle for 1 or 2 weeks.
Leave Liquid Soap Making and go to Homepage